Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Beginning

In second grade, I brought my Oliver and Company soundtrack to school and convinced my teacher to let us listen to it in class.

In third grade, I mentioned in three different school assignments that "Under the Sea" was my favorite song.

In fifth grade, we were asked to draw a picture of our favorite place.  I drew Sleeping Beauty Castle.

In eighth grade, I had a letter and my address published in a Disney comic book.  I ended up with a couple dozen penpals.

In high school, I was the one everyone came to if they had a Disney related question.

I chose a trip to Walt Disney World for my high school graduation gift.  During college, I spent a semester on the WDW College Program.  After I graduated college two years later, I moved to Florida where I would work for Mickey for the next eight years.  Needless to say, the Mouse and I have a long history together.

Last November, I got married, and my new husband and I moved all the way to Silicon Valley, CA where he has a great job as a software engineer for a start up company.  Since I left my castle home and am currently a stay-at-home wife (not yet a mother, but that will come within the next few years) keeping an eye out for opportunities, I decided to start this blog to share and nurture mutual Disney love.  In fact, I've discovered that since leaving the castle, my love for the magic is stronger than ever.

So what will this blog be about? Anything and everything Disney- from the parks to the films to the man himself and anything connected to those things such as fairy tales in general.  Let me know if there is something you'd like me to write about!

People often ask me what is it about Disney that I'm so infatuated with.  My own family doesn't get it- they have a healthy appreciation for Disney and they'll humor me, but I know they think I'm a little nuts.  The best way I can explain it is it's the stories- the happily ever afters and characters who touch your heart, the music- certain Disney songs can lift me up instantly, and the inspiration- Walt was a big believer in dreams and making them happen.

I recently visited the Walt Disney Family Museum.  I left feeling so humbled and proud and in complete agreement with many of his philosophies.

Here's a great quote of his:

"Why do we have to grow up? I know more adults who have the children's approach to life. They're people who don't give a hang what the Joneses do. You see them at Disneyland every time you go there. They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures, and they have a degree of contentment with what life has brought - sometimes it isn't much, either."

I salute you Walt.  And I vow to never let go of my inner childlike delight...to smile and laugh and find joy in simple things, to skip instead of walk, dance when the music moves me, to imagine and create and explore and experience.  

That is why I love Disney.

Hope to seeya real soon, fellow Disney dreamers!

No comments:

Post a Comment